The Godfrey Public Relations Manager is an experienced and energetic person who has the desire and ability to conceive, sell and execute high-impact public relations programs for business-to-business and business-to-consumer clients in a variety of industries. Superior planning, writing, client- and media-relations skills, plus sales and presentation ability, are essential. Degree plus five or more years of relevant experience required.
The Public Relations Manager is responsible for managing client PR programs and projects from concept/planning through execution. The account manager is the key day-to-day interface between Godfrey, its clients and the journalists, bloggers, and analysts covering client industries, markets, and areas of technology. The account manager is:
- Charged with researching, planning, proposing and managing PR programs under the supervision of an Account Director and/or a Senior Public Relations Manager.
- Responsible for managing programs and projects, estimating, monitoring internal and external costs, budget control, margin enhancement and billing.
- Building a career in B-to-B PR or marketing communications, with 5+ years of experience, preferably in account management.
- Expected to maintain the profitable short- and long-term growth of existing accounts, and to contribute to the acquisition of new accounts.
- Teamed with Associate Account Managers and/or PR Coordinators, depending on the needs of clients, but generally not expected to have a supervisory responsibility (except on a project basis).
- Expected to travel to client and client-customer locations, participate in relevant trade shows, conferences, and other events, and plan and conduct editorial visits nationally and internationally as needed.
The Public Relations Manager is responsible for maintaining a positive client relationship, ensuring the quality of work and program results, and maintaining established billing/profit goals. A requisite skill is the effective and appropriate delegation and management of copywriting, media research, clerical/production needs, creative or art direction, photo, image and video direction, etc.
Overall success will be determined by a combination of factors, including the demonstrated ability to:
- Win the confidence and trust of clients, media and, where appropriate, industry analysts.
- Conceive PR programs and projects that – within the context of the established marketing communications strategy – differentiate clients and distinguish Godfrey.
- Execute projects: Work effectively, quickly, thoroughly and accurately; achieve results within budget.
- Handle multiple assignments, “switch gears” smoothly, and meet deadlines consistently.
- Identify and develop new business opportunities with existing and prospective accounts.
All Godfrey employees are accountable for and expected to integrate Godfrey Core Values (Fascination, Drive, Partnership and Transparency) into overall position responsibilities.
- Conceive, present, and sell PR programs and projects.
- Maintain/increase billings and profit for each assigned account.
- Establish and maintain a regular pattern of contact – both formal and informal – with appropriate client personnel, media representatives, and industry analysts.
- Supervise the research and writing of news releases, feature articles, case studies/application stories, sales and technical newsletters, Internet text, press-conference scripts, and other speaker support materials. (Handle some copywriting directly, as needed, on a project basis).
- Obtain and document necessary client approvals of PR materials.
- Pitch and place articles and stories with trade, business, and consumer media – online, print and broadcast.
- Direct the work of Associate Account Managers and PR Coordinators who coordinate support services (copy, production, art, photography, news distribution, press clip tracking and reporting, etc.) to ensure client deadlines and budgets are met.
- Document and report program activity and results to clients regularly.
- Carry out responsibilities in a professional, collaborative manner without intensive supervision.
- Keep supervisor and account team members informed of all significant accomplishments, opportunities, problems and client-relationship issues.
- Become an indispensable member of the client’s marketing communications team, knowledgeable about the client and competitive marketing, technology and relevant industry issues.
- Employ communications strategy and techniques that are effective in the context of a sound, integrated marketing communications program and that raise the stature of our client contacts within their organizations; employ new PR techniques in a rational and integrated manner.
- Contribute daily as a working member of a professional account service team.
Education, Experience and Capabilities:
- BA/BS required. Concentrations should include one or more of the following: Communications, marketing, advertising, public relations, journalism, or liberal arts.
- Five or more years of account management experience, preferably in a public relations position (client or agency side), social media position or related media/analyst position.
- Clearly demonstrated ability to work well with clients, editors and the account service team.
- Understanding of and devotion to the principles of business-to-business marketing communications and how PR is integrated into overall marketing communications programs.