The Godfrey Senior Public Relations Manager is an experienced and energetic person who has the desire and ability to conceive, sell and execute high-impact public relations programs for business-to-business clients in a variety of industries. Superior planning, supervisory, writing, client- and media-relations skills, plus sales and presentation ability are essential. Degree plus five or more years of relevant experience required.
The Senior PR Manager is responsible for managing client PR programs and projects from concept/planning through execution. The SPRM is the key day-to-day interface between Godfrey, its clients and the journalists, bloggers and analysts covering client industries, markets and areas of technology. The account manager:
- Interacts effectively with high-level client contacts.
- Thinks, plans and acts strategically.
- Has more internal supervisory responsibility (may or may not include “direct reports”) than a Public Relations Manager.
- Responsible for sustainable, annual revenue of at least $250,000 in billings (with $225,000 in gross income).
- Manages programs and projects, estimating, monitoring internal and external costs, budget control, margin enhancement and billing.
- Is building a long-term career in B-to-B PR or marketing communications, with 5+ years of experience and at least 3 of those working on substantial programs.
- Is expected to maintain the profitable short- and long-term growth of existing accounts and contribute to the acquisition of new accounts.
- Heads up a team of professionals, including a PR Associate Manager, Program Coordinator and a PR Copy Director, depending on the needs of clients.
- Is expected to travel to client and client-customer locations, participate in relevant trade shows, conferences and other events, and plan and conduct editorial visits nationally and internationally as needed.
The Senior PR Manager is responsible for maintaining positive relationships with high-level client contacts, ensuring a high quality of work and program results, and for maintaining established billing/profit goals. A requisite skill is the effective and appropriate delegation and management of copy writing, media research and outreach, clerical/production needs, creative or art direction, photo, image and video direction, etc. In addition, experience with supervising staff is a plus, but not essential.
Overall success will be determined by a combination of factors, including the demonstrated ability to:
- Win the confidence and trust of high-level client contacts, media and, where appropriate, industry analysts
- Win the confidence and trust of the PR account service team and the Account Director on specific accounts
- Think, plan and act strategically
- Conceive PR programs and projects that – within the context of the established marketing communications strategy – differentiate clients and distinguish Godfrey
- Execute programs and projects: Work effectively, quickly, thoroughly and accurately; achieve results within budget
- Identify and develop new business opportunities with existing and prospective accounts
All Godfrey employees are accountable for and expected to integrate Godfrey Core Values (Fascination, Drive, Partnership and Transparency) into overall position responsibilities.
- Conceive, present and sell PR programs and projects; provide a strategic framework for all activities.
- Maintain/increase billings and profit for each assigned account.
- Establish and maintain a regular pattern of contact – both formal and informal – with high-level client personnel, media representatives and industry analysts.
- Supervise the execution of key program elements, including media relations, news releases, feature articles, case studies/application stories, sales and technical newsletters, Internet text, press-conference scripts, and other speaker support materials. (Handle some copywriting directly, as needed, on a project basis).
- Direct the work of the PR account service team, which will coordinate support services (copy, production, art, photography, news distribution, press “clip” tracking and reporting, etc.) to ensure client deadlines and budgets are met.
- Carry out responsibilities in a professional, collaborative manner without intensive supervision.
- Keep supervisor, PR Director, Account Group Manager and account team members informed of all significant accomplishments, opportunities, problems and client-relationship issues.
- Become an indispensable member of the client’s marketing communications team, knowledgeable about client and competitive marketing, technology and relevant industry issues.
- Employ communications strategy and techniques that are effective in the context of a sound, integrated marketing communications program and that raise the stature of our client contacts within their organizations.
- Contribute daily as a working member of a professional PR and account service team; provide supervisory/mentoring guidance where appropriate.
Education, Experience and Capabilities:
- BA/BS required. Concentrations should include one or more of the following: Communications, marketing, advertising, public relations, journalism, or liberal arts.
- Five or more years of account management experience, preferably in a public relations position (client or agency side), social media position or related media/analyst position.
- Clearly demonstrated ability to work well with clients, editors and the account service team.
- Understanding of and devotion to the principles of business-to-business marketing communications and how PR is integrated into overall marketing communications programs.
- Work well with diverse people and as part of a team.
- Inspire and motivate team members; provide guidance.
- Enthusiastic, energetic, confident and motivated.
- Detail oriented and well organized.
- Creative, inventive and collaborative.